Are you a (national) manager or a salesperson looking to call the market and to estimate where a quarter will close across your Outlets, Offices, Agencies, and Accounts? We call this a Projection, and we have made it an easy entry experience for those interested in the process. Think of it as a value that sits ahead of individual deals and pending dollars, but a little behind your budget in terms of the process.
To get started, click on the Projections link from the left navigation menu.
- You will immediately be presented with a view of the current quarter (by default) as well as the option to change to the next 2 quarters. This option is sticky so if you change it to Q4, for example, and leave it there then it will display Q4 on the next load of the page.
- Choose how you wish to view the page in Spacious (the most padding), Comfortable (a little less padding), or Compact (the least padding) size. Additionally, choose if you want to Wrap Text for easier reading or Shorten Text for emphasis on fitting more on screen at once.
- Standard paging is included to ensure the load times are optimal and no user waits too long for Projections to return. You can interact with the paging controls above the headers in order to advance to the next, previous, last, and first page of Projections.
- You can set the number of rows that you wish to see on the page. This setting will be remembered for the next time you visit the Projections page as well.
Breaking It Down
You will see each of your rows on this page broken out by Outlet, Office, Salesperson, Agency, and Account. Only Managers will see the Salesperson column. Each corresponding column can be sorted.
Some columns can apply filters in addition to a simple search allowing you to find a specific value or combination of values. The search is a contains style search so that means if you are looking for the Account "20th Century Fox" then you could start typing "20th" or "Fox" and your result will appear in the list.
The filtering will display a numerical value indicating that some values have been selected or “ALL” indicating that all values have been selected (essentially no filter has been applied). Clicking into either of these will show the values that you can filter on along with a search box. Select 1 or more values and press OK to set the filter and view the refined results.
Additionally there is a Market filter that sits on top of the column heads that can be used independent of any other filter and search capability.
Each of the results also acts as a link to the respective Profile page within Monarch for even more information. For example, clicking onto an individual Account will take you to the Account Profile.
The Rows that display on this page follow a very strict set of rules in order to help you more quickly update your Projections and help you stay focused. The Account must have billed within the last year or any time in the future OR the Account must be a Prospect OR the Account must have an active Open deal. An account that billed in 2016 will not display today. However if that Account has an open deal, then it would display as we will interpret that as an Account that you are actively working on.
Understanding your Projections, Market Budget, and Share
Additionally, each row will contain the fields defined below. Some help you with information to complete your projections while others can accept values that you enter. Note that this header will float so that you can easily see what each column represents as your scroll vertically.
- Booked - The amount of dollars currently within your billing system for the time frame in view.
- Budget – A calculated amount based upon the Booked dollars and Share from your traffic/billing system. (Booked / Share%).
- Share – The Share provided from your traffic/billing system.
- Note: Your traffic/billing system must be able to provide the fields of budget or share to be able to utilize this integration at this time.
- Pending - The amount of dollars you still hope to receive as summed from Deals within Monarch for the time frame in view.
- Budget – The amount that a buyer wishes to spend within a given market as provided by a proposal system.
- Share – The amount that a seller has capture, as a percentage, from the buyer’s Budget.
- Forecast - The sum of Booked + Pending as a calculation. This shows your current efforts for the time frame in view and would be your final amount if you did not update pending dollars or import additional revenue.
- Projection - The amount of dollars you feel you will realistically close out the time frame in view with. It is not dependent on existing deals or booked revenue. This field can be updated by you.
- Market Budget - The amount of money that an Account has to spend in a single Market for the time frame in view. Note that by changing this for one row it will change other rows if they have Outlets in the same market. This field can be updated by you.
- Share - The percentage of the Market Budget that you hope to achieve on a single Outlet. It is typically based upon your share of viewers within a market. This field can be updated by you.
Editing and Historical References
Anytime that you click into a Projection, Market Budget, or Share field it will immediately set the row for editing and you will be presented with some historical information over the previous year designed to help you see a trend and make decisions while updating the quarter in view.
- It is likely that the Pending amount will equal $0 as you do not typically have historical pending, as Monarch attempts to zero out historical pending each month. This is not always the case as you may be entering a projection for a quarter months ahead of time so the historical rows may show a pending amount.
- Market Budget and Share display for the pending value as historically captured
- Booked and Forecast dollars will likely be the same for months in the past due Forecast being a calculation (Booked + Pending).
- Market Budget and Share display for the Booked value as historically captured
- Projection will be the value entered from projections in the previous time frame being viewed.
- Market Budget will be the value entered from Market Budget in the previous time frame being viewed.
- Share will be the value entered from Share in the previous time frame being viewed.
- Whenever you enter any 2 values for Projection, Market Budget, or Share, the 3rdwill automatically be calculated for you. For example, if you enter $2,000 into Projection and $10,000 into Market Budget, we will automatically calculate the row at 20 share.
- Further if you were to edit this row again, you will be required to set the calculation again. For example if I wanted to update that same Projection to $3,000 then I would be prompted to set the Budget to $15,000 or the Share to 30.
- Note that updating the market budget for one row may update it for another row (when the Office, Salesperson, Account, and Agency are the same but in a different Outlet within the same market). In those cases you will be asked how to calculate the other rows as well.
- You can collapse any row again manually via the collapse icon on the right of each expanded row. Additionally, clicking into another row for edit will collapse the existing row and open a new one.